- Description: This was an event flier made with more artistic freedom. We were given the limitations that we could only use Microsoft Word to design the flier, and that we must include the date, time, place, price, beneficiary, benefactor, and event.
- Process: We started by brainstorming ideas for an event, then we sketched out a few designs. After preparing those ideas and sketches, we looked in magazines or used professionally printed photos to illustrate or add to the message. We then scanned the image and adjusted the quality to meed our needs. We were limited to using only Microsoft Word, as if the company we were designing for wanted to spend as little money as possible. I made a small logo of the letters J and H (a childhood nickname of Jonny Hopper) for the benefactor and Amber Clements (a friend from home) as the author and beneficiary of the event.
- Message: The message of this flier was in some ways to “take the bull by the horns” and go after your dreams. The flier is for a fictional event for an author who would be giving a seminar and doing a book signing mainly for her new book.
- Audience: Primarily women or those looking for inspiration to take action — Ages 21-40
- Color scheme and color names: I used Gold and started using the monochromatic color scheme, but added a complementary color as a contrasting color so that the text would be more easily read.
- Top Thing Learned:
I learned that it is important to consider readability before choosing a color scheme and that in some cases, “less is more.” For this flier, I found it hard to get out of the mindset of writing little and focus more on design.
- Title Font Name & Category: BlairMdITC TT Medium – Sans Serif
- Copy Font Name & Category: Constantia – Serif
- Scanned images used, sources, original sizes, location of scanner used: I used an 8 inch by 6.5 inch image out of an HGTV magazine, scanned in the Spori building at BYU-Idaho, and sized it to about 500 pixels maximum width at 300 dpi.