- Description: This has been my favorite project so far. I love being able to design something on paper creatively, not just focusing on design. I have always loved the look of vector designs, probably because it can just feel like the shapes are as close to perfect as possible. We were to make a company logo fit for an audience of our choosing. As a musician myself, I mainly focused on those who love music, and considered a business or shop that would be using this logo.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I first put my ideas on paper, exploring creative ways to use the H symbol that are actually my initials (JC) in the same shape that I sign some of the art I make. After deciding on a few that I liked on paper, I used illustrator to begin making the shapes. I used the pen tool for everything that is not lettering, and the ruler tool at times to be sure that some of the lines were relatively close to equal. After making a few designs, I talked to 10 people to get their votes on favorite design. The results were on this design, taking 70% percent of the votes. Afterward, I focused on making each of the shapes of this design having right angles where they needed, and also moving the tip of the musical note upward to extend past the music staff.
- Message: It was a logo for a fictional business that has many products dealing with music.
- Audience: Age 12-39. The colors hint toward a family setting. The audience is children at least 12 years of age or parents. One example of this would be a parent buying a first instrument with his or her child, or a music lover seeking sheet music or instrument equipment.
- Top Thing Learned: I learned that a logo needs to be reviewed by others to see its appeal. I was surprised that this logo was chosen, just because I didn’t like it as much. Also, color scheme can affect the logo’s appeal greatly. I wanted to try out a four color, but it turned out that the extra color was distracting.
- Color Scheme and Color Names: The main logo’s color scheme was a split complementary of blue.
- Title / Body Font Names & Categories: Sounds Good – Sans Serif