Make your process at least five sentences. Describe your skills, list software, and mention the FOCUS principles to showcase your knowledge to a potential employer.
- Description: Letterhead and business card using a personal logo.
- Process (Programs, Tools, Skills): I created all the shapes in Adobe Illustrator, starting first with the gecko. I studied a few pictures of geckos to get their general shapes, then looked for inspiration on how to simplify, drew out a silhouette on paper, then used the pen tool and paint brush tool (expanding the stroke to create shapes where needed). The feet were the most difficult, but once I learned how to make it easier, it was much faster. I also decided to make the lizard all one continuous line because I also make vinyl stickers which require a path to follow. After the gecko, I started on the JC/H shape by simply using the title font shown below. I turned those into outlines, then also made them into one shape. As I made the shapes, the colors began to come into mind, and slowly the rest of the design. In Adobe inDesign, I arranged some of the layout to finish it off.
- Message: My message was to encourage others to see my portfolio on WordPress, or to contact me for any information that they might need from me in order to consider how they could use my talents. In a way, this is a small statement of my personal brand. The gecko has personal meaning to me, along with the JC/H shape, being my initials.
- Audience: My intended audience would be anyone looking for freelance designers, writers, or musicians. Another audience would be companies seeking potential employees.
- Top Thing Learned: The biggest thing I learned were little techniques and ideas that helped me in my ability to design. I learned how to use the paint brush tool with stroke to make a shape that I want, then turning that “painting” into outlines, then shapes by merging them together. The other was the reminder that repeated elements should be grouped in odd numbers.
- Color scheme and color names: Monochromatic Green – Lime Green, black and white.
- Title Font Name & Category: Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold – Sans Serif
- Copy Font Name & Category: Brush 738 BT – Script