Super heroes, especially Marvel, have always been in my heart. My brother and I have used a lot of the comic art to paint acrylic pop art. He has always been the main artist, so this icon set was for him. This set is based on Marvel’s various heroes and villains, but with two main heroes in mind: Iron Man and Spider Man. Here are the icons I designed.
To begin my process, I started sketching out different heroes. I focused mainly on DC villains at first. The funny thing is that none of these sketches actually made it into the final, although most of them have been vectored.
As you can see, there wasn’t much difference between the last two images. This was because I thought about just using the blob brush and a wacom tablet. I didn’t like how these turned out.
And most of them just looked hand drawn
Bane was the only one that felt fine. It was at this point that I had started messing with the idea of making only half a face and just reflecting it and joining the lines. I applied this rule to the rest of my project.
I ended up working on finding ways to simplify everything. I came up with an idea to have a basic shape for every icon, which was a circle. Every icon had to contain this same sized circle, with an 8 pt stroke around the edges of the icon. Those were my basic rules.
I spent a lot of time staring at the characters, and even bought the Marvel Encyclopedia. After drawing out their basic shapes of costume design, I was able to start.
Then you work on some of the costume design.
I did my best to have a lot of repeated shapes to make shading. All I had to do was pick a basic shape for each area and resize it. one example was with Vision, with the repeated triangles. To get curved shapes, I often just held control and dragged in one of the corners to round it off (Adobe CC). You can see that right below the repeated V shapes.
One of the most useful things for me was a clipping mask. For spiderman, I had to try different methods for about 4 hours with no success. Finally it clicked… Spiderman basically is separated into 11 pieces. So I just had to figure out how to make a pie piece and duplicate then resize it. Once I got the hang of a clipping mask, it became a lot easier to focus on the divisions.